Forums

This topic is locked

Help... I've lost my whole site on the remote

Posted 14 Apr 2007 14:23:04
has voted
14 Apr 2007 14:23:04 manuela ferrigni posted:
Dreamweaver is doing something it has never done before. I am unable to upload any change to my files as the program keeps uploading copies of the files messing the directory. When I try to upload the updated files from my local folder to my remote Dreamweave is automatically creating a copy of the public/www/and actual file in my local directory and then uploads this version on the remote (which is basically a orphaned copy of the original file)rather than the updated original. That means that every updated file is orphaned of the file it should be linked to, as the link is to the original and not the copy. To make things worst I deleted some of the original files from the remote server (including the home page and other main pages) thinking to re-upload them from scratch and get rid of the copies but I ended up losing my site from the server since now I only have copies of the home page and main linked pages (I still have all the files I haven't updated). I'm also under the impression that the program is uploading the wrong files in the wrong location anyway as it seems to place them, although not always, outside of the www folder. Any idea what's happening. It's driving me mad.
I'm using Dreamweaver MX 6 with Mac OSX 10.3

Replies

Replied 15 Apr 2007 02:10:00
15 Apr 2007 02:10:00 Kenneth Halley replied:
Your description of your issue is frankly very confusing to me but I would suggest doing one of these two things.
( I am no DW support expert- this is just what i would do if I was having such problems) so take this any way you like- someone may say not to do this.

Copy out all your site files from your local directory- but not the ones Dreamweaver makes to index your site- the _notes directories and stuff (the ones with the mno files in), into a local directory. Delete your local site, create a ne wlocal root directory for your site and recreate the site, put al the backed up file sback in and open it in dreamweaver- forcing it to reindex the files, if ther eis an error in here at this stage it should sort some of it out- though if link shave been changed before the update I suspect they will come back broken but hopefully they will be easier to fix-- load back your remote site and then run a link validator like "Web Link Validator" (made by REL software) and see if its bust.

OR- and I do this when dreamweaver is being awkward about some uploaads- use a ftp tool like Filezilla to put up your site files independaently of DW then try downloading them from remote to local to put things straight. (PS I don't use a MAC so not sure if there is a MAC equivalent of Filezilla- there is bound to be a GUI FTP client of some sort I would surmise.

HTH
Kenny

-----------------------------------
www.halleynet.co.uk
Replied 17 Apr 2007 13:33:22
17 Apr 2007 13:33:22 manuela ferrigni replied:
Thanks for your suggestion. I'll try out what you say but I reckon there is a behavioural problem since evry time I upload something it keeps of making copies of the upload file and all dependant ones and then store it into a ne public and www folder within my local directory. That is why the link on the server are broken. It basically links the enw uploaded file to a phantom folder. Just weird. I have now found out I can bypass that by dragging and dropping the file and then deleting the phantom folder it created on my local directory but I need to find out why it is doing it. It's a difficult issu to explain unless you can see what happens to the interface during and after uploading.

Manuela

Your description of your issue is frankly very confusing to me but I would suggest doing one of these two things.
( I am no DW support expert- this is just what i would do if I was having such problems) so take this any way you like- someone may say not to do this.

Copy out all your site files from your local directory- but not the ones Dreamweaver makes to index your site- the _notes directories and stuff (the ones with the mno files in), into a local directory. Delete your local site, create a ne wlocal root directory for your site and recreate the site, put al the backed up file sback in and open it in dreamweaver- forcing it to reindex the files, if ther eis an error in here at this stage it should sort some of it out- though if link shave been changed before the update I suspect they will come back broken but hopefully they will be easier to fix-- load back your remote site and then run a link validator like "Web Link Validator" (made by REL software) and see if its bust.

OR- and I do this when dreamweaver is being awkward about some uploaads- use a ftp tool like Filezilla to put up your site files independaently of DW then try downloading them from remote to local to put things straight. (PS I don't use a MAC so not sure if there is a MAC equivalent of Filezilla- there is bound to be a GUI FTP client of some sort I would surmise.

HTH
Kenny

-----------------------------------
www.halleynet.co.uk

Replied 17 Apr 2007 17:15:14
17 Apr 2007 17:15:14 Javier Castro replied:
I found that in many cases that is human error.
Identify the corrent site folder within your local computer. If only HTML files, then test them and make sure it is the correct website folder.
In Dreamweaver:
Make sure your settings for LOCAL INFO is correct, the REMOTE INFO also, and pay attention to: HOST DIRECTORY. Some webhosts give access to the user to upload files outside the public directory, usually for Databases and other info like stats, logs, etc. and DW will upload your files ther if you don't correctly set the appropriate directory to upload to. So, verify what is the public directory you should upload your files to.
under manage sites, make sure you have selected the correct folder to your site. Especially if you work on more than one site.
Make sure that on DW under Site Definitions --> Advanced tab, you uncheck the option to Automatically upload files to server on save.
But Maintain Syncronization Information Checked.
Consider, as suggested above(previous post) using another FTP client, like Fetch to upload your files to the server.

If nothing works, consider re-installing DW.

Good luck.
Replied 24 Apr 2007 14:04:37
24 Apr 2007 14:04:37 satheesh Dominic replied:
As I understand the situation..... Pls try this....

Using other Ftp or uploading softwares to connect to the remote folder and then download all the files on the server root folder...If all files are there in the remote server you will get it back.

OR Call the Support of the Server and ask for help....It's possible to get the site back from their backup system. Most of the servers do take back ups frequently. So you might be able to get it back from them...

please be care full in setting up the "manage sites".....

Edited by - satheeshkd on 24 Apr 2007 14:08:39

Reply to this topic