Forums

This topic is locked

Legality issues

Posted 28 Mar 2003 21:55:45
has voted
28 Mar 2003 21:55:45 Dennis van Galen posted:
How legal are terms of use that people stick on their websites ?

If the terms are broken by many people and others report this can something be done when the site owner / legality person responds with "Tough luck, join the next auction" when their terms clearly state that what happened is a violation of their terms and an investigation should be started.

Am I in my right to demand an investigation or should I just spread the word that the people of the site in question are NOT serious about their business and break their own rules by allowing this fraude to occur on their website ?

I am 100% sure that what I complained about is spelled out in their terms as forbidden, you will be banned for it, account voided, funds confiscated. But the reply I got from their confidentiality / security dept. was a JOKE.

Curious to read your responces / experiences with these matters.

Thanks.

with kind regards,

Dennis van Galen
DMXzone Manager
FAQ, Tutorial and Extension Manager

Studio MX / CFMX PRO / SQL 2000 / NT4 AND win2kPRO / IIS5

Replies

Replied 28 Mar 2003 23:23:48
28 Mar 2003 23:23:48 Brent Colflesh replied:
Unless that company is also in the Netherlands, it may be tough for you legally - does the EU have a common court of appeals for electronic fraud?

Regards,
Brent

Replied 28 Mar 2003 23:35:14
28 Mar 2003 23:35:14 Dennis van Galen replied:
I got a dutch reply from the dutch office, but it's big and global so I assume all their offices follow the same terms, the co.uk has the same clause in their terms. And I bet the US based site has it too.

And it's such an easy fix, i gave them the solution in my mail which wasn't as much a complaint as it was more a warning to them that this was going on and that it costs them customers. They do not seem to care. It's sad though, people who really want to buy now lose out because others that want to make a quick buck by using these cheats to buy so they can sell it for more "steal" it from under your nose, seconds before the auction closes.

with kind regards,

Dennis van Galen
DMXzone Manager
FAQ, Tutorial and Extension Manager

Studio MX / CFMX PRO / SQL 2000 / NT4 AND win2kPRO / IIS5

Edited by - djvgalen on 28 Mar 2003 23:40:48

Reply to this topic