Forums

This topic is locked

Adobe to buy out Macromedia

Posted 18 Apr 2005 17:22:11
has voted
18 Apr 2005 17:22:11 Chris Charlton posted:
Woah, that was unexpected. Thoughts? As for my 2-cents, I need a minute to breathe before I speak.

www.dmxzone.com/ShowDetail.asp?NewsId=9785

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Chris Charlton <i>- DMXzone Manager</i>
<font size=1>[ Studio MX/MX2004 | PHP/ASP | SQL | XHTML/CSS | XML | Actionscript | Web Accessibility | MX Extensibility ]</font id=size1>

Replies

Replied 04 May 2005 21:37:27
04 May 2005 21:37:27 Chris Charlton replied:
OMFG! How horrible! Well, then for UK & my (non-Adobe DW) sake I hope the rumors of a broken up DW are true.
(www.dmxzone.com/showDetail.asp?TypeId=11&NewsId=9637)
Replied 06 May 2005 17:13:59
06 May 2005 17:13:59 Daniel Riggs replied:
<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>
If there is an extension out there you have wanted to buy to assist you in your web development - better get it now because Adobe has NO history of promoting 3rd party FREE extensions and will quickly move to shut down our wonderful Dreamweaver community as they hate the fact they don't make a dollar out of it ...

I feel betrayed - all the loyalty I've shown Macromedia through all their struggles to develop Dreamweaver etc AND now - well it's all over ...

Maybe someone else will come up to the plate ...

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>
By the FAQ, here's the rundown I've read so far...

<b>Merger name:</b> Adobe Systems, Inc.
<b>Merger or bought-out?</b> Adobe <i>bought</i> Macromedia.
<b>Employess affected</b> Adobe has 4,000+ and Macromedia has 1,400+ (all are staying so far).
<b>When is this transaction expected to close?</b> by Fall (fourth quarter) 2005.
<b>Annual expected revenue combined:</b> over <b>2 Billion</b> dollars a year.
<b>Main publicised reason for the buyout:</b> Flash and Adobe PDF.

<b>Will planned product releases for Macromedia or Adobe be affected?</b> [We] do not anticipate any changes with respect to our ongoing business plans.

<b>Will this affect the planned release of Macromedia Studio MX later this year?</b> No.

<b>What happens to the Macromedia brand?</b> Adobe recognizes the strong equity of the Macromedia brand. That said, it makes great business sense for a company the size of the combined company to align behind a single corporate brand. Over time, Macromedia products will transition to the Adobe brand. Adobe expects to keep and continue investing in key Macromedia product brands.

<b>Are there areas of duplication in product lines? If so, how will that be addressed?</b> Adobe and Macromedia are committed to serving the needs of our combined customers. The companies are largely complementary, and thus the amount of competition between us is limited. Post closing, we believe the industry will remain as dynamic and competitive as it is today. Until the close of transaction, the companies will continue to operate business and usual. The combined company will not be able to create a joint product roadmap until after the transaction is closed.

<b>Do you expect to integrate the FlashPlayer and the Adobe Reader?</b> The complementary functionality of FlashPlayer and Adobe Reader will enable the deployment of a more robust cross-media, rich-client technology platform. The combined company will continue to be committed to the needs of both the FlashPlayer and Adobe Reader users.
<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size=2 id=quote>

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size=2 id=quote>Come on, folks. The good people at Adobe are business people and like any good business person, you don't kill the cash cow once you've bought it. I’m looking forward to Dreamweaver acquiring all the cool things that Golive has well as keeping all the great things it already has. Adobe won’t remove the extensionality of Dreaweaver because that is one of the great reasons and a very strong selling point. From a marketing standpoint, letting the customer add their 3rd party extensions of their choosing involves the purchaser on a personal level and gets them involved in “making” their own brand of Dreamweaver which makes for a powerfully loyal customer.
Replied 10 May 2005 02:34:14
10 May 2005 02:34:14 Chris Charlton replied:
Well, <b>there goes Fontographer</b>!

www.markme.com/sfegette/archives/007693.cfm)
Replied 17 May 2005 18:00:21
17 May 2005 18:00:21 Chris Charlton replied:
<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>...Macromedia Development centre in Bangalore will be merged with the Adobe Development Centre in India. It is also learnt that Macromedia’s 8.1% stake in Mumbai-based mobile gaming company, Indiagames, is moving to Adobe India too. A combined stake of 18.2% in Indiagames was acquired by Macromedia and Cisco Systems for $4m from existing Investor TOM Online recently.

Adobe India development centre consist of over 500 developers which is its second-largest outside the US and the third largest overall. It contributes over 20% of the company’s engineering efforts and has already filed 25 patents. From the business circle, it is also learnt that the company plan to invest about a sum of $50m by 2007 in India alone.<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size=2 id=quote>

www.brajeshwar.com/archives/2005/05/adobe_will_get.php

Reply to this topic