Forums

This topic is locked

ASP on win 7 -?

Posted 07 Mar 2011 18:39:01
has voted
07 Mar 2011 18:39:01 Helle M posted:
First of all, how on earth do I get classic ASP to work on a win 7 PC? I have searched and found no usefull help. Do any of you guys know a well described good link?

Second: I believe it may be time to change my old ASP skills to something else. The question is ... to what?

Whatever it will be; It must be able to run on my own PC locally... and it must be not too hard to create code *lol*. It also should be possible to create custom calculating code etc. I have old Access SQL calculating code that works great - still.

Would be happy for help
regards helle

Replies

Replied 08 Mar 2011 11:15:49
08 Mar 2011 11:15:49 Patrick Woldberg replied:
I think the most simple description can be found here: www.windows7home.net/how-to-install-iis-7-and-setup-asp-in-windows-7/

If you want to use an other programming language you can change to ASP.NET or PHP, PHP is a bit more simple but requires you to install PHP on your PC which can be done under IIS or by installing something like WAMP. ASP.NET is already available on Windows 7 and I would suggest downloading Visual Studio Webdeveloper Express for the programming, it is a bit more difficult to learn but you can do more with it.
Replied 08 Mar 2011 22:00:05
08 Mar 2011 22:00:05 Helle M replied:
Thanks Patrick,
Hmm, but I use Dreamweaver for programming, or is it the inqueries that are done in "Visual Studio Webdeveloper Express"? (you can hear I am lost, right?) I don't even have a clue what databases to use?
Replied 09 Mar 2011 11:22:03
09 Mar 2011 11:22:03 Patrick Woldberg replied:
For Dreamweaver I suggest you stay with ASP or go use PHP, the support for ASP.NET in Dreamweaver is very bad. For the database it depends, with PHP it is MySQL, with ASP you probably use ACCESS or SQL Server (Express), depending on what your host supports.
Replied 09 Mar 2011 16:53:25
09 Mar 2011 16:53:25 Helle M replied:
It's because I am told that ASP will die out in a few years and Windows won't support it then! Friends are "smiling" when I mension I use Access []

Right now I have 20-25 old websites online and also locally on my PC (ASP and Access). Edit etc. is easy, all sites have their own database and folder in inetpub/wwwroot - easy to set up.

I presume the same can be done with either PHP or whatever I will look into soon?

thanks for your replies :-)
Replied 10 Mar 2011 12:01:13
10 Mar 2011 12:01:13 Patrick Woldberg replied:
ASP is old and not supported or updated anymore by Microsoft. But if you still have sites that use it then why not keep using it, I still use it every day because our CMS is written in ASP. We don't have the resources to start all from scratch and keep updating the current CMS using ASP. Access is still being developed by Microsoft, but there is a good alternative now with SQL Server Express.
Replied 10 Mar 2011 18:24:07
10 Mar 2011 18:24:07 Helle M replied:
As long as it also supports lots of separate websites on the local computer...

I am still new to this, and looking at this
Is this the one?
Replied 11 Mar 2011 11:45:57
11 Mar 2011 11:45:57 Patrick Woldberg replied:
The web platform gives you the whole package, the IIS server, SQL database server, ASP.NET and PHP support and the tools like Visual Studio.

If you're looking only for the database you can download it here.

Reply to this topic